Filter by Topic
- (-) Remove Ethics filter Ethics
- (-) Remove Legal filter Legal
- (-) Remove Organizations filter Organizations
- (-) Remove Technologies filter Technologies
- People (1) Apply People filter
Filter by Format
- (-) Remove Articles filter Articles
Displaying 1 - 1 of 1 items.
Harry Clay Sharp (1870-1940)
Harry Clay Sharp was a surgeon who performed one of the first recorded vasectomies with the purpose of sterilizing a patient. Sterilization is the practice that makes a person unable to reproduce, and vasectomy accomplishes that by severing the vasa deferentia, the sperm-carrying tubes in the male reproductive system. Historically, sterilization procedures have varied in techniques, goals, and risks, but Sharp’s method of vasectomy allowed restriction of a patient’s reproductive functions without significantly affecting other bodily functions.
Subject: Legal, Ethics, People, Organizations, Technologies