Organizations

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 12

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1967

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 12 Suppl.

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1968

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 13

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1969

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 13 Suppl.

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1970

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 14

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1971

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 14 Suppl.

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1972

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 15, pt. 1

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1973

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 15, pt. 2

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1974

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 16, pt. 1

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1975

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 16, pt. 2

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1976

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 17, pt. 1

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1977

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 17, pt. 2

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1978

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 18, pt. 1

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1979

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

General Embryological Information Service, vol. 18, pt. 2

Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation.

Created 1980

Last modified 1 year 7 months ago

Format: Publications

The Marine Biological Laboratory Embryology Course

By Jane Maienschein

The Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, began in 1888 to offer opportunities for instruction and research in biological topics. For the first few years, this meant that individual investigators had a small lab space upstairs in the one wooden building on campus where students heard their lectures and did their research in a common area downstairs.

Created 2007-10-24

Last modified 2 years 1 week ago

Format: Articles

Washington University in St. Louis

By Adam R. Navis

Washington University in St. Louis served as the backdrop for many scientific discoveries, including that of nerve growth factor (NGF). Many of the accomplishments in embryology at Washington University can be attributed to the influence of Viktor Hamburger. He served as chair of the zoology department for twenty-five years. One of the few Nobel Prizes given for embryological research was awarded to faculty members Hamburger hired; Rita Levi-Montalcini and Stanley Cohen won for their role in the discovery of nerve growth factor.

Created 2007-11-08

Last modified 2 years 1 week ago

Format: Articles

Free Hospital for Women Scrapbook by Harvard University Library

By Kimberly A. Buettner

This scrapbook is part of the Harvard University Library's collection on "Working Women, 1800-1930," which is itself part of the Open Collections Program. The print version is located at the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. It contains information about the hospital, including articles from newspapers, magazines, and other publications; photographs of the hospital, employees, and special events; lecture announcements; letters and other forms of correspondence; ration cards; tickets; forms; certificates; posters; programs; and playbills.

Created 2007-11-13

Last modified 2 years 1 week ago

Format: Articles

The Mothers' Clinic

By Ellen M. DuPont

The Mothers' Clinic for Constructive Birth Control was established on 17 March 1921. The first family planning clinic ever established in Great Britain, it was co-founded by Marie Charlotte Carmichael Stopes and her husband Humphrey Verdon Roe at Number 61, Marlborough Road in Holloway, North London. The Mothers' Clinic was one of the highlights of Stopes's extensive career as a proponent of available birth control and women's sexual equality.

Created 2008-07-22

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Marie Stopes International

By Ellen M. DuPont

Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a not-for-profit organization based in the United Kingdom that promotes reproductive and sexual health. It grew from one small clinic, founded in North London in 1921, into an international provider of reproductive health care and information that operates in almost forty countries. The Mothers' Clinic, from which it grew, was created in the hopes of expanding couples' reproductive rights, and the modern organization continues to work toward the same goal today.

Created 2008-07-22

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Center for Reproductive Health (1986-1995)

By Hilary Gilson

The Center for Reproductive Health was a fertility clinic run by a partnership of world-renowned fertility specialists from 1986 to 1995. The Center operated at three clinic locations under affiliation with the University of California Irvine 's Medical Center (UCIMC). The Center's renowned specialists and medical success stories attracted clients worldwide until evidence of highly unethical practices conducted by doctors there resulted in over one hundred lawsuits against the University. At issue was the doctors' misappropriation and unauthorized use of eggs and embryos.

Created 2008-09-30

Last modified 2 years 1 week ago

Format: Articles

The Marine Biological Laboratory

By Jane Maienschein

The Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) was founded in 1888 in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. Woods Hole was already the site for the government 's US Fish Commission Laboratory directed by Spencer Fullerton Baird, and it seemed like the obvious place to add an independent research laboratory that would draw individual scientific investigators along with students and instructors for courses.

Created 2008-10-24

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Biological Lectures Delivered at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole

By EP Editorial Team

The Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, began in 1888 with one building housing researchers upstairs and students in a shared lab and lecture space downstairs. For the first two years, instruction took the form of general lectures covering a range of topics in zoology. In addition, the trustees offered some public lectures in Boston to raise funds for the lab.

Created 2008-10-24

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

The Marine Biological Laboratory-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Library

By Jane Maienschein

In 1888 when students and investigators arrived in Woods Hole for the inaugural session of the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), they recognized the need for a library collection of books and journals. The one wooden building on campus, later known as Old Main, housed everything, with researchers upstairs and the student laboratory downstairs. Lectures were held in one corner, and shelves held what books and journals were contributed.

Created 2008-10-25

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Assisted Human Reproduction Canada (AHRC)

By Katherine Brind'Amour

Established under the Assisted Human Reproduction (AHR) Act of 2004, Assisted Human Reproduction Canada (AHRC), also known as the Assisted Human Reproduction Agency of Canada, was created in 2006 to oversee research related to reproductive technologies and to protect the reproductive rights and interests of Canadian citizens. AHRC serves as a regulatory body for the development and use of such research and technology while enforcing the guidelines and restrictions laid out by the AHR Act.

Created 2009-05-27

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

National Embryo Donation Center

By Nicole Lopez

The National Embryo Donation Center (NEDC) is a non-profit organization that was established in 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee. The organization is endorsed and supported by several Christian-based associations such as the Christian Medical Association, Bethany Christian Services, and Baptist Health Systems. Its goal is to provide embryo donation and embryo adoption services in order to utilize the large number of embryos that are being cryopreserved as a result of infertility procedures and are no longer needed.

Created 2010-06-24

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Making Visible Embryos (2008- ), by Tatjana Buklijaz and Nick Hopwood

By Karen Wellner

Making Visible Embryos is a 2008 online exhibition of embryos authored and designed by Tatjana Buklijaz and Nick Hopwood who work in the Department of History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Cambridge. Hopwood's research on the history of Ziegler wax models and the use of visual aids to promote the teaching and learning of science is well known.

Created 2010-06-25

Last modified 1 year 12 months ago

Format: Articles

Advanced Cell Technology, Inc.

By Lijing Jiang

Advanced Cell Technology, Inc. (ACT) is a biotechnology company that uses stem cell technology to develop novel therapies in the field of regenerative medicine. Formed in 1994, ACT grew from a small agricultural cloning research facility located in Worcester, Massachusetts, into a multi-locational corporation involved in using both human embryonic stem cells (hESC) and human adult stem cells as well as animal cells for therapeutic innovations.

Created 2010-06-25

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Carnegie Institution of Washington Department of Embryology

By Karen Wellner

The Carnegie Institution of Washington's (CIW) Embryology Department was opened in 1914 and remains one of six departments in the CIW. The department quickly became, and remains, world renowned for its many embryonic development discoveries. In 1913 Franklin P. Mall, Professor of Anatomy at Johns Hopkins Medical School, applied for a Carnegie grant to support his research with human embryos. Mall had a collection of over 800 human embryo specimens and was at the point of wanting to do more than just collect.

Created 2010-06-27

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

The Jackson Laboratory

By Christina Raup

The Roscoe B. Jackson Laboratory, known commonly in the scientific field as the Jackson Laboratory, was founded by Clarence Cook Little in May 1929. The lab has been pivotal in research with in vitro fertilization, teratomas, gene replacement therapy for birth defects, and more because its researchers have focused from the beginning on developing the mouse as a model organism. Mice were chosen by researchers at Jackson as the best available model for genetic research, and today genetically uniform strains of mice developed at the lab are used in laboratories all over the world.

Created 2010-07-01

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Johns Hopkins Fertility Center

By Aroob Khokhar

Johns Hopkins Medical Center, located in Baltimore, Maryland, opened in 1889; its associated medical school opened four years later. Today the hospital, a leading research center, contains many departments, including a fertility center that is renowned for taking on difficult cases that have been rejected by other fertility clinics. The fertility center was founded by physician Georgeanna Seegar Jones in 1939 as the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology in the gynecology department. The division expanded once formal training in reproductive endocrinology began in 1973.

Created 2010-07-01

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

"The Multi-Dimensional Human Embryo"

By Sarah Ly

The Multi-Dimensional Human Embryo website (http://embryo.soad.umich.edu/) is a publicly accessible online database of the first three-dimensional images and animations of human embryos during different stages of development. Both the images and animations were created using magnetic resonance microscopy and compiled for easy access.

Created 2011-03-24

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

The Eugenics Record Office at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (1910-1939)

By Cera R. Lawrence

From its founding in 1910 until it closed its doors in 1939, the Eugenics Record Office (ERO) at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York was the center of the American Eugenics Movement. Charles Davenport, a geneticist and biologist, founded the ERO, and served as its director until 1934. Under the direction of Davenport and his associate, superintendant Harry H. Laughlin, the influence of the ERO on science and public policy waxed during the early twentieth century until after World War II.

Created 2011-04-21

Last modified 3 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Body Worlds

By Britta Martinez

Body Worlds is an exhibition featuring plastinates, human bodies that have been preserved using a plastination process. First displayed in 1995 in Tokyo, Japan, this collection of anatomical specimens has since been displayed around the world. Although the exhibition debuted in Japan, the idea for the displays began at Heidelberg University in Heidelberg, Germany, where anatomist Gunther von Hagens invented a technique for plastination in the 1970s. After years of research and small-scale presentations of his work, von Hagens created Body Worlds, or Korperwelten in German.

Created 2012-11-27

Last modified 2 years 1 month ago

Format: Articles

General Embryological Information Service, published annually by the Hubrecht Laboratory, 1949-1981

By Nathan Crowe

The General Embryological Information Service (GEIS) was an annual report published by the Hubrecht Laboratory in Utrecht, The Netherlands from 1949 to 1981 that disseminated contemporary research information to developmental biologists. The purpose of the annual report was to catalog the names, addresses, and associated research of every developmental biologist in the world. Pieter Nieuwkoop edited each issue from 1949 until 1964, when Job Faber began assisting Nieuwkoop. Bert Z. Salome joined the editing team in 1968 before Nieuwkoop ceased editing duties in 1971.

Created 2013-01-03

Last modified 2 years 1 month ago

Format: Articles

The Cabinet of Frederik Ruysch

By Britta Martinez

Frederik Ruysch's cabinet of curiosities, commonly referred to simply as the Cabinet, was a museum Ruysch created in the Netherlands in the late 160ss. The Cabinet filled a series of small houses that Ruysch rented in Amsterdam and contained over 2,000 specimens, including preserved fetuses and infants. The collection remained in Amsterdam until it was purchased by Tsar Peter the Great of Russia in 1717 and transferred to St. Petersburg, Russia.

Created 2013-04-12

Last modified 2 years 3 weeks ago

Format: Articles

Oregon State Board of Eugenics

By Cera R. Lawrence

In 1917 the Oregon State Legislature, in Salem, Oregon, passed a bill titled, 'To Prevent Procreation of Certain Classes in Oregon.' Passage of the bill created the Oregon State Board of Eugenics, an organization that presided over the forced sterilization of more than 2,600 Oregon residents from 1917 to 1981. In 1983, Legislation abolished the State Board of Eugenics, by that time called the Oregon State Board of Social Protection.

Created 2013-04-22

Last modified 11 months 6 days ago

Format: Articles

Human Betterment Foundation (1928-1942)

By Jill Briggs

In 1928 Ezra Seymour Gosney founded the non-profit Human Betterment Foundation (HBF) in Pasadena, California to support the research and publication of the personal and social effects of eugenic sterilizations carried out in California. Led by director Gosney and secretary Paul Popenoe, the HBF collected data on thousands of individuals in California who had been involuntarily sterilized under a California state law enacted in 1909. The Foundation's assets were liquidated following Gosney's death in 1942.

Created 2013-07-10

Last modified 5 months 3 weeks ago

Format: Articles

Seed Collection and Plant Genetic Diversity, 1900-1979

By Marci Baranski

Farmers have long relied on genetic diversity to breed new crops, but in the early 1900s scientists began to study the importance of plant genetic diversity for agriculture. Scientists realized that seed crops could be systematically bred with their wild relatives to incorporate specific genetic traits or to produce hybrids for more productive crop yields.

Created 2013-11-01

Last modified 2 years 1 month ago

Format: Articles

Seed Banking 1979-1994

By Marci Baranski

In the early twentieth century, scientists and agriculturalists collected plants in greenhouses, botanical gardens, and fields. Seed collection efforts in the twentieth century coincided with the professionalization of plant breeding. When scientists became concerned over the loss of plant genetic diversity due to the expansion of a few agricultural crops around mid-century, countries and organizations created seed banks for long-term seed storage.

Created 2014-01-28

Last modified 2 years 1 month ago

Format: Articles

The US President's Council on Bioethics (2001-2009)

By Ceara O'Brien

The US President's Council on Bioethics was an organization headquartered in Washington D.C. that was chartered to advise then US President George W. Bush on ethical issues related to biomedical science and technology. In November 2001, US President George W. Bush created the President's Council on Bioethics (PCB). Convened during a nationwide cloning and embryonic stem cell research debate, the Council stated that it worked to address arguments about ethics from many different perspectives.

Created 2014-02-18

Last modified 2 years 3 months ago

Format: Articles

The Singapore Bioethics Advisory Committee

By Ceara O'Brien

Established in tandem with Singapore's national Biomedical Sciences Initiatives, the Bioethics Advisory Committee (BAC) was established by the Singapore Cabinet in December 2000 to examine the potential ethical, legal, and social issues arising from Singapore's biomedical research sector, and to recommend policy to Singapore's government.

Created 2014-03-14

Last modified 3 years 2 weeks ago

Format: Articles

The Human Genome Project (1990-2003)

By Tito Carvalho, Tian Zhu

The Human Genome Project (HGP) was an international scientific effort to sequence the entire human genome, that is, to produce a map of the base pairs of DNA in the human chromosomes, most of which do not vary among individuals. The HGP started in the US in 1990 as a public effort and included scientists and laboratories located in France, Germany, Japan, China, and the United Kingdom.

Created 2014-05-06

Last modified 2 years 10 months ago

Format: Articles

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (1890- )

By Rachel Gur-Arie

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) is a non-profit research institution that specializes in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, quantitative biology, and genomics. The organization is located on the shores of Cold Spring Harbor in Laurel Hollow, New York. The Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences established the CSHL in 1890, to provide scientists with facilities to research Charles Darwin's evolutionary theory. The first mission of CSHL was biological science education.

Created 2014-06-21

Last modified 2 years 9 months ago

Format: Articles

The Pasteur Institute (1887- )

By Valerie Racine

L'Institut Pasteur (The Pasteur Institute) is a non-profit private research institution founded by Louis Pasteur on 4 June 1887 in Paris, France. The Institute's research focuses on the study of infectious diseases, micro-organisms, viruses, and vaccines. As of 2014, ten scientists have received Nobel Prizes in physiology or medicine for the research they have done at the Pasteur Institute.

Created 2014-08-19

Last modified 2 years 7 months ago

Format: Articles

The Roslin Institute (1993- )

By Zane Bartlett

The Roslin Institute was established in 1993 in the village of Roslin, Scotland, as an independent research center by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), and as of 2014 is part of the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland. Researchers at the Roslin Institute cloned the Dolly the sheep in 1996. According to the Roslin Institute, Dolly was the first mammal to develop into an adult from the transfer of the nucleus of an adult sheep cell into an ovum with the nucleus removed.

Created 2014-09-29

Last modified 2 years 6 months ago

Format: Articles

Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (1991- )

By Sarah Taddeo

In 1991, the
United Kingdom established the Human Fertilisation and Embryology
Authority (HFEA) as a response to technologies that used human embryos.
The HFEA is a regulatory power of the Health and Social Services
Department in London, UK, that oversees the implementation of
reproductive technologies and the use of embryos in research within the
United Kingdom. It establishes protocols by which researchers may use
human embryos, develops legislation on how human embryos are stored and

Created 2014-10-30

Last modified 2 years 4 months ago

Format: Articles

American Eugenics Society (1926-1972)

By Rachel Gur-Arie

The American Eugenics Society (AES) was established in the US by
Madison Grant, Harry H. Laughlin, Henry Crampton, Irving Fisher, and
Henry F. Osborn in 1926 to promote eugenics education programs for
the US public. The AES described eugenics as the study of improving
the genetic composition of humans through controlled reproduction of
different races and classes of people. The AES aided smaller eugenic
efforts such as the Galton Society in New York, New York, and the

Created 2014-11-22

Last modified 2 years 3 months ago

Format: Articles

Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy

By Federica Turriziani Colonna

The Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn (Anton Dohrn Zoological Station) is a public research institute focusing on biology and biodiversity. Hereafter called the Station, it was founded in Naples, Italy, in 1872 by Anton Dohrn. The type of research conducted at the Station has varied since it was created, though initial research focused on embryology. At the turn of the twentieth century, researchers at the Station established the sea urchin (Echinoidea) as a model organism for embryological research.

Created 2014-12-22

Last modified 2 years 3 months ago

Format: Articles

Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia (1974- )

By Patsy Ciardullo

Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia is a nonprofit organization that began in 1974 as a joint endeavor by Reginald and Catherine Hamlin and the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia promotes reproductive health in Ethiopia by raising awareness and implementing treatment and preventive services for women affected by obstetric fistulas. It also aims to restore the lives of women afflicted with obstetric fistulas in Ethiopia and eventually to eradicate the condition.

Created 2015-04-13

Last modified 1 year 11 months ago

Format: Articles

Clinica Para Madres (1934-1950)

By Claudia Nunez-Eddy

The Clinica Para Madres (Mother’s Clinic) opened in Tucson, Arizona, in December of 1934 as the first birth control clinic in Arizona. After moving to Tucson, birth control activist Margaret Sanger, along with a group of local philanthropic women, founded the clinic to provide Arizona women with contraception. During the early 1900s in the US, contraception was illegal under the federal Comstock Act. Additionally, many viewed contraception and sex as obscene and not to be discussed in public or outside of marriage.

Created 2016-10-12

Last modified 1 month 1 week ago

Format: Articles

Pages