Organizations

Title By Description Created Last modifiedsort ascending
1894 Investigators and Faculty Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 21 June 2017
Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (1929–1970) Yvette Tran Starting in 1929, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists was a professional association of physicians in the UK that aimed to improve the care of women in childbirth through training and education and to establish obstetrics and gynecology as a medical specialty. The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has contributed to women’s reproductive health by fostering research, establishing standards for physicians specializing in obstetrics and gynecology, and influencing legislation. 2017-05-29 29 May 2017
The Malthusian League (1877–1927) Claudia Nunez-Eddy The Malthusian League, founded in London, England, in 1877 promoted the use of contraception to limit family size. Activists Charles Bradlaugh and Annie Besant established the Malthusian League after they were arrested and exonerated for publishing a pamphlet describing techniques to prevent pregnancy. Founders based the league on the principles of Thomas Malthus, a British nineteenth century economist, who wrote on the perils of a population growing beyond the resources available to support it. 2017-04-27 7 May 2017
Alexandre Lion’s Incubator Charities in Europe (1894–1898) Kelsey Rebovich Alexandre Lion established incubator charities in the late 1890s in France to promote his infant incubator. Lion’s infant incubators kept premature infants warm and improved their chances of survival, but were expensive and not widely used. In order to promote his new technology, Lion displayed incubators that carried premature infants in storefronts and at fairs and expositions throughout Europe. After the public began paying admission to view the infants and incubators, the expositions became incubator charities. Admission fees went directly to the care of the premature infants. 2017-03-14 7 May 2017
Clinica Para Madres (1934-1950) Claudia Nunez-Eddy The Clinica Para Madres (Mother’s Clinic) opened in Tucson, Arizona, in December of 1934 as the first birth control clinic in Arizona. After moving to Tucson, birth control activist Margaret Sanger, along with a group of local philanthropic women, founded the clinic to provide Arizona women with contraception. During the early 1900s in the US, contraception was illegal under the federal Comstock Act. Additionally, many viewed contraception and sex as obscene and not to be discussed in public or outside of marriage. 2016-10-12 14 February 2017
Planned Parenthood Committee of Phoenix (1942-1978) Claudia Nunez-Eddy The Planned Parenthood Committee of Phoenix was established in 1942 to expand Arizona women's access to family planning resources. The Planned Parenthood Committee of Phoenix was formed through the merging of The Mother's Health Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona, with the national Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The clinic was primarily based within the Phoenix Memorial Hospital campus but expanded to other locations in the late 1960s. 2016-11-08 9 November 2016
Planned Parenthood Center of Tucson (1950-1977) Claudia Nunez-Eddy Established in 1950, the Planned Parenthood Center of Tucson provided Arizona women with family planning resources until 1977, when it expanded to locations outside of Tucson and became Planned Parenthood of Southern Arizona. The Planned Parenthood Center of Tucson was formed after the Clinica Para Madres, the first birth control clinic in Arizona, merged with the national organization Planned Parenthood Federation of America. 2016-10-22 23 October 2016
The Mother's Health Clinic of Phoenix (1937-1942) Claudia Nunez-Eddy The Mother's Health Clinic opened in Phoenix, Arizona, in 1937 and provided women in central Arizona with contraception and family planning resources. A group of wealthy philanthropic Phoenix women founded the clinic under the guidance of birth control activist Margaret Sanger. The clinic was the second birth control clinic to open in Arizona and the first to serve the central and northern Arizona residents. 2016-10-12 13 October 2016
Human Betterment Foundation (1928-1942) Jill Briggs In 1928 Ezra Seymour Gosney founded the non-profit Human Betterment Foundation (HBF) in Pasadena, California to support the research and publication of the personal and social effects of eugenic sterilizations carried out in California. Led by director Gosney and secretary Paul Popenoe, the HBF collected data on thousands of individuals in California who had been involuntarily sterilized under a California state law enacted in 1909. The Foundation's assets were liquidated following Gosney's death in 1942. 2013-07-10 4 October 2016
Oregon State Board of Eugenics Cera R. Lawrence In 1917 the Oregon State Legislature, in Salem, Oregon, passed a bill titled, 'To Prevent Procreation of Certain Classes in Oregon.' Passage of the bill created the Oregon State Board of Eugenics, an organization that presided over the forced sterilization of more than 2,600 Oregon residents from 1917 to 1981. In 1983, Legislation abolished the State Board of Eugenics, by that time called the Oregon State Board of Social Protection. 2013-04-22 26 April 2016
1895 Faculty Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1895 9 October 2015
1895 Faculty (Overlay) Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1895 9 October 2015
1893 Scientists, group 2 Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1893 9 October 2015
1894 Ten Scientists Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 20 August 2015
1894 Ten Scientists (Overlay) Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 20 August 2015
1894 Investigators and Faculty (Overlay 2) Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 20 August 2015
1894 Investigators Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 20 August 2015
1894 Investigators and Faculty (Overlay 1) Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1894 20 August 2015
US Fish Commission Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Fisheries building on right 20 August 2015
Capt Veeder on "Cayadetta" Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Veeder on ship 20 August 2015
MBL Crane and Candle House buildings Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Looking east on Water Street Crane Building, Candle House and Marine Biological Laboratory Club on right 1919 20 August 2015
Student Housing Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Photo of house from road 1916 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 1 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1949 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 17, pt. 1 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1977 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 15, pt. 2 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1974 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 14 Suppl. Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1972 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 12 Suppl. Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1968 20 August 2015
1893 Scientists, group 1 Baldwin Coolidge Digitized by the MBL Digital Processing Center 1893 20 August 2015
Collecting ship "Cayadetta" Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Collecting ship "Cayadetta" c1930 20 August 2015
US Fish Commission building Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner Fisheries building 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 7 Suppl. Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1958 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 7 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1957 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 6 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1955 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 5 Suppl. Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1954 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 5 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1953 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 3 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1951 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 2 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1950 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 6 Suppl Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1956 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 4 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1952 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 18, pt. 2 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1980 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 18, pt. 1 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1979 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 17, pt. 2 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1978 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 16, pt. 2 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1976 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 16, pt. 1 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1975 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 15, pt. 1 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1973 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 14 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1971 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 13 Suppl. Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1970 20 August 2015
General Embryological Information Service, vol. 13 Journal issued by the Hubrecht Laboratory on behalf of the General Embryological Information Service Foundation. 1969 20 August 2015
Old Main and Botany Buildings Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner MBL Street Old Main and Botany Buildings 20 August 2015
Botany Building Alfred F. (Alfred Francis) Huettner View of Botany Buildings - 1925 1925 20 August 2015

Pages